Tuesday, July 11, 2006

festivities

Oh, how neglectful we've been of the blog! Bad Winterpills.
But, at least I can tell you that we've been busy- we're gearing up to record number two next month, and we're also excited to play some summer festivals and watch the enthusiastic dancers and lovely kids who always make up a large percentage of these crowds. I can't wait.

I saw an amazing band called Devotchka play at the Iron Horse a few weeks ago. It was one of the best shows I've been to- beautiful instrumentation (bouzouki, tuba, violin, upright bass, drums) and sweeping vocals. Sweeping is such a cliche in many band press kits, but Devotchka really has one of the most sweeping lead singers I've heard... Have a listen for yourself or just take a chance and go see them live. They sound like the most romantic brooding soundtrack to a 1940's film about french gypsies, mixed with a kind of Calexico-ish indie rock sensibility.

Devotchka

I've also been listeng to The National non-stop.
Some lyrics of theirs:

Break my arms around the one I love
And be forgiven by the time my lover comes
Break my arms around my love

I don't have any questions
I don't think it's gonna rain
You were right about the end
It didn't make a difference

I'm here to take you now

Out among the missing sons and daughters of the SoHo riots
Out among the missing sons and daughters of the SoHo riots

What else should I be listening to?
Enjoy the sun and the berries,
~flora

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home